What to Do if You Are in an Accident
IF YOU ARE IN A CAR, PEDESTRIAN OR BICYCLE ACCIDENT:
- BE SAFE & AWARE AT THE SCENE. Wait for emergency responders in a safe location.
- CALL THE POLICE and insist that they file a report.
- TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS of all of the vehicles, the scene, and anything of importance. The more photos the better. Make sure that they are from far enough away to tell the whole story.
- WRITE DOWN ALL WITNESSES’ full contact information.
- SAVE YOUR APOLOGIES. A simple “I’m sorry” can be taken as an admission of you being at-fault.
- SEEK MEDICAL TREATMENT IMMEDIATELY. This is an absolute must, due to the requirements of a new law.
- CALL SELZER & WEISS, PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEYS 954-567-4444 BEFORE calling any insurance company. Insurance companies are not your good neighbor, and you certainly aren’t in good hands with a claims office.
- DON’T POST ANYTHING ON SOCIAL MEDIA regarding your accident, injuries, your car, etc. Insurance companies are unscrupulous in using social media posts to deny claims, pay a lesser amount, and/or delay payment.
- BE CAREFUL WHO YOU TALK TO about the accident, your injuries, and medical treatment. Loose lips sink ships and could cost you thousands of dollars in a potential settlement.
PLEASE BUCKLE UP, DON’T TEXT AND DRIVE, AND BE SAFE. IT’S THE LAW.